Share

Beaver Dam Farm

Nugent Homestead 1875 to 1927

By: - Jul 08, 2015

Beaver Dam Beaver Dam Beaver Dam Beaver Dam Beaver Dam Beaver Dam Beaver Dam Beaver Dam

 

Beaver Dam Farm

Gloucester to Rockport
Old Nugent Farm Road
Condos named for them
On land of great uncle George
Once owned all of
Good Harbor Beach
Boss Tweed of Gloucester
Appointed Mayors
Lost most of his foot
Farm accident
Visited Mom each summer
In posh Annisquam
Old money Yankees
Catholics are rare
What will you have
She would ask
Always whiskey neat
Leaning on his cane
False choppers clanking
Thick accent slurring words
The gift of gab
Full of grand stories
Homestead rented from
Babson family
Some 32 acre
Pasture and gardens
Abandoned in 1927
When the matriarch Mary
Died at 76
Worn out from raising 13
Townies torched house and barn
Just to watch the blaze
Nothing better to do
Old stone kitchen
Dated to 1658
All that survives
Beaver Dam Farm
George moved up the road
Raising cows and pigs
Where our roots are